On Sunday, December 3, 1922, thirty-five men of St. Peter’s Church voted to organize as the Evangelical Brotherhood. The purpose of this group was to unite men in Christian fellowship to serve one another, the congregation, and the community at large. This was to be accomplished by having active laymen working in all phases of Church work. They met each month and, like the women’s group, meetings opened with devotions followed by a business meeting and a social period.
Once a year the Brotherhood entertained the ladies and friends of the church with a special program. All members of the Brotherhood shared in providing volunteer services for the church, such as minor repairs and painting. They put in many hours on improvements to the basement and classrooms after a small fire at the University Avenue Church.
With the consolidation of the Evangelical and Reformed churches in 1939, the name of the group was changed to Churchmen’s Brotherhood. When our Church merged to become the United Church of Christ, the name changed again to Churchmen’s Fellowship.
A Blending of Service
By the 1960s, the role of women in the church expanded to include opportunities for leadership in the area of governance as well thus the line between men’s work and women’s work became blurred and together, the men and women of St. Peter’s began blending their talents to become the powerful team that serves the church today.